Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Change Is Inevitable, Sure.. But...

A few days ago, Dixons announced that it will officially stop selling VCR's. This will probably mean that all other electronic stores will stop as well, which in turn means VHS will start to disappear very, very quickly.
I am sad.
I've always been fond of VHS. Never cared about Betamax or any of the other standards, and I certainly never cared about DVD, but I cared about VHS. I always claimed that a good movie experience always starts with either a theatre ticket or a rattling, black VHS tape. And now it's going to disappear, forever. Future generations will grow up with movie experiences that start with a shiny round disk or the progress bar on your download. Sighhh...
It was inevitable. Yes. I know this. I also know about the strategic (I'd call it sneaky) move that for a few years now, all tapes (at least the ones pre-recorded with movies n stuff on them) were of much lesser quality so they'd break down within a few years (instead of the usual decade). And we all know how hard it's become to find your favourite movies on VHS anymore, in contrast to DVD.
I don't know. I am really gonna miss the big clumbsy rattling cassettes. I never missed audio tapes, or vynil, but I will miss VHS. I'll miss them every time I put a shiny DVD in my player and some videogame-like interface starts up. Other than the extras. You gotta love the extras. VHS barely ever had those.

No comments: