Monday, September 13, 2004

High Standards In I.T. Quality

So yeah, today was the big friggin' day. The day the biggest, most important step in this ever-dragging-on project where, basically, the server is made as secure as we can. Between 3 and 4 in the afternoon. Of course I was dead nerveous, because the people in this project haven't consistently been too reliable (sometimes they were, sometimes they were the exact opposite), things have often been forgotten, overlooked, neglected, etc. and my ability to take some TIME OFF was directly on the line. Even besides the fact that some 200 users would be furiously on the phone if we failed, and there was no way to do a roll-back.

So come 3 30, I get notice that the user rights have been changed correctly. I test it, of course, and lo and behold: IT DOESN'T WORK ! I'm panicking, and trying to reach another project member who might be able to figure out why it's not working, until in a very short moment of clarity I decide to let a USER test as well. And, completely to my surprise, it works fine.

So we got the server secure and working, for all users... except the people IN OUR OWN WEB TEAM.

I can't believe it.. I actually have a valid excuse for not performing any publishing services for anyone ! This isn't even a case of "I'll laugh about it later", I'm already laughing. Bloody hilarious.
Vacation time coming soon now, I can feel it. More to come in the next few days.

No comments: