Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Slavin' away, as usual.

So I showed up at work today despite feeling kind of ill early in the morning, and dog tired. I walk in, switch on the computer, and voila - nothing.
The power was off ! There was a change during the weekend in the building, and apparently a few servers we needed to keep powered on caused a power surge and blew a fuse for the entire power block. So for a good hour or so, we all sat around and found out how little work we can do without power. It was funny ! Sure, at the time I was still sleepy-groggy and annoyed that I had to get up for that, but it was funny nonetheless. If I didn't have a baseball on my desk (I always have one) we wouldn't have had ANYTHING to do. So instead we tossed the ball around to one another. That's what all our advanced tasks and skills boil down to once the power is off. It's good to realise that once in a while.

I've been busy working on the booklet last weekend, and, well, as I mentioned on the group blog, I'm not completely happy with how it turned out, but it's not bad either, so to hell with that. It'll be done on time, and it'll serve its purpose well.
In preparation for the expected increase in site visitors, Tom and I have been really busy with the new setup also - I probably have mentioned this before, but the new setup basically doesn't change how things look, just the speed with which the pages will be generated, and it will cause much less trouble for the server. This means the server won't cripple if we do get thousands of visitors suddenly.
I'm also trying to figure out the new admin interface, since we won't be able to maintain the site in the old easy way. Tom basically says we should keep it simple and quick 'n dirty, but I want to get Greg and Sio more involved if they still want to be, and that would require a good interface to do nearly everything with in very userfriendly ways. So that takes a lot of figuring out.

Blah. Meanwhile, The Grim DotCom and the mystery project have seen no actual work from me this past weekend. Yes, I gave them both a lot of thought, storyboard-wise, but I haven't gotten anything concrete out of it that I'm happy with. So I guess it remains all technical work and little drawing play until I know what I should do with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://hpawvnfp.com/dhin/uvwc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://cinsidyu.com/cowt/quhk.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://hpawvnfp.com/dhin/uvwc.html | http://kppbnapf.com/parb/dzrr.html