Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Daily Grind

Well, time for another round of 'The Word of the Day'. Let's take a look at our relatively unimaginative, inane candidates, shall we ?

- 'werkloosheidsdag', which means unemployment day. No, this is not a national holiday to celebrate the joys of unemployment (although I'm sure the sheer number of the unemployed would by now justify such a holiday), this is a word just created to state that help for the unemployed needs to already be available on their first unemployment day. The article shouts 'the government is getting desperate in their attempts to spin doctor what a mess they're making' and I have my doubts that this plan will help anything. I'm sure it'll raise taxes, though.

- 'zwangerenbutton', which means pregnancy button. It's a button women can wear in London when they are on the subway and pregnant, because research apparently shows most are too embarassed or shy to ask someone to stand up so they can have a seat. The button says 'baby on board' and it obviously is in the rather corny London subway logo colours. If I were a pregnant woman, wearing that would not make me less embarassed to ask for a seat. I'd probably stay off the subway altogether.

Other than that, it's mostly the same old crap. Completely unimaginative words, some I've already picked up before, some closely related to ones I've picked up before.. these two were pretty much all that was worth mentioning.

And because the design looks so awful and completely defeats the purpose (one of the newspapers had a picture), the Word of the Day is 'zwangerenbutton'.

No comments: