Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Poor Catch...

Today's candidates were rare, despite the fact that since yesterday, Metro also has an Amsterdam edition (so even more odds in favour of finding the Word of the Day). However, I think they're very, very valid:

- 'rekenzwak' (calculation weak). This refers to kids who don't grasp their basic math skills too quickly by themselves (as the current educational system makes them figure out, I read in this article to my shock). Yeah... you force kids to solve calculation problems they've never seen before in their life by themselves, and some won't be able to - so let's call them 'weak'. And conclude that those 'weak' kids benefit most from the old-fashioned way of teaching math (hey now, that's the way I learnt it too, you assholes - and it worked fine for me and most people of my generation and before.. who do you think are working in IT and science right now ??) - nominated.
- 'anti-piraterijmusketiers' (anti piracy musketeers). This refers to BREIN, a foundation that attempts to hunt down and fine the people who up- and download illegal copywrited material such as games, music and movies. Two types of adventurous, heroic, outlawed ruffians thrown together in one word, with 'anti' in front of it.. a real beauty, this one is. If you wouldn't know the media context, this would be a very, very weird word indeed. Media label alert ! Nominated.
- 'grotestadsmarathons' (big city marathons). I'm not even going to explain why I nominated this. Just look at it.

And the Word of the Day is.... 'anti-piraterijmusketiers' !

No comments: