Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Things Are Getting Crazier And Crazier.

Welp, I've finally done it: an all-nighter in service of ClickBurg. That's right: I didn't get to shut my eyes for a single minute last night, because I was piecing together the programme booklet. I'm running on 100% coffee today, I doubt there's much of anything else running through my veins.

And yet: I'm still bringing you the Word of the Day ! How's that for loyalty. Can I get some appreciation ?

No ?

Ok. You're still getting the nominees anyway.

- 'sexwinkelcentra' (sex shopping centres) - Hungarian prostitutes will be supplied with an er... sort of 'front desk', from what I gather from this article. A businessman has requested permission to start a multifunctional sex palace, where prostitutes will be allowed to find their clientele - they do however have to perform their job elsewhere, which sets it apart from the concept of a brothel. So basically it'll be a place where it's legal for prostitutes and clients to meet up, but they'll have to go to an own place or hotel to get down to business. The article labels this as a sex shopping centre, but to a Dutchman a sex shop isn't a place where you meet prostitutes, it's where you get, well, accessories. And lord knows what else (I have little experience in visiting such shops, despite living in a country where they're abundant and legal), but no actual woman to have sex with. A sex shopping centre would, to a Dutch person, be a shopping mall with nothing but such sex shops. This word is simply faulty and misleading. Down the drain with it !
- another set of trend words ! This time there's two pages on sunglasses trends, and the gems I lifted off them are 'oversized', 'zonnebrillenmaand' (sun glasses month), and 'brillentrendwatcher' (glasses trend watcher). It never ceases to amaze me how many pages can be filled with such inane subjects. I mean.. sunglasses, for chrissakes !
- 'muziekverspreiders' (music distributors). Is this really the label you'd want to patch on people who offer illegal MP3s online ? I mean.. music distributors could also just be band managers, or record companies, or even radio and tv stations. Not only does this label lack to add anything (I am dead certain the Dutch language is rich enough to tackle labelling these people with a combination of two or three existing words), but its meaning is very ambiguous. Besides that, it's a media hype word. And any regular reader of this blog knows I hate those enough to nominate them based solely on that.
- 'vergelijkingssite' (comparison web site) - er... no doubt I'm correct in interpreting this word as meaning 'web site that allows people to compare prices on certain things' but.. well.. it's just a bad word. I don't even want to explain it, it's bad. Bad, I tell you.

And the Word of the Day is.......

*falls deep asleep on the keyboard*

Just kidding. The Word of the Day is: 'sexwinkelcentra' !

No comments: