Tuesday, November 08, 2005

John Fowles, 31/3/1926 - 5/11/2005

Writer John Fowles dies aged 79

"The French Lieutenant's Woman author John Fowles has died aged 79.
Fowles died at his home in Lyme Regis, Dorset on Saturday after battling a long illness, his publisher said."

I'm fairly saddened by this news. Fowles has been of great influence on me, both personally and in my writing. As you can read at the linked page (BBC news), I'm far from alone in that. And many people have written their thoughts there much more eloquently than I have.

So I'll limit myself to notifying you all that a man I greatly admired has passed away - before I could ever let him know that I did, I might add. I always hoped to have archieved a slight bit of greatness myself before doing so, to perhaps make it slightly more honorable. My own fault for waiting, I guess.
Nevertheless, the Probeersel books, the books that started me off in more serious comic writing, that still encapsulate most of my views on humanity, the world, and everything, that took five years of my life to complete and that some still say is my best work to date, those five books were heavily influenced by Fowles. I even paid direct tribute to the man in some of the panels in Book 5, and therefor, instead of writing things that others have also written, I quote from my own work below to pay tribute to a great man once more.

Mr. Fowles, you will be missed.

No comments: