Thursday, November 17, 2005

René Talks About Death - What Else Is New ?

I have a reputation for being comfortable with the macabre - well, I guess that's what you get for being the guy behind a weekly comic starring the Grim Reaper and a bunch of dead folk. But still.
A colleague's brother-in-law keeled over at his job, pretty much dead on the spot, age 48. Now, I'm not afraid to die. I haven't been since about age 8. It happens, it's a part of life, and I'm damn glad that the idea is that at some point there's an end to all of this. Not that I dislike my life, but I've long ago accepted my death and I'm constantly trying to limit the amount of loose ends in my life because I know it can happen at any time. It's hard to understand for a lot of people, but to me death is just... death.
What *does* spook me, though, is... 9 hours a day (sometimes more), four days a week, I'm in the office. That's a pretty big chunk of my life. Statistically, the odds of dying while on the job are fairly realistic. And when I heard about that guy dying there, that *did* seem weird to me.
It's not that it would scare my colleagues or that it would get in the way of my work or any such kind of consideration. I mean, I could die in a bar, or on a train, or at home, and in each of those situations similar stuff would probably happen right after. It's the thought that I could die AT WORK. It's the idea that my last thought COULD be 'now to reboot that server' or 'I wonder if I've notified that user yet'. Too much of my time and energy is already being wasted at work, I don't want to DIE here as well. To be honest.
So yeah, that's my thought for the day. Think about it. You work to live, as they say. But what if you fail at that motto and work only to die while doing so ? Terrifying.

No comments: