Sunday, November 06, 2005

Life is pacin'

I just spent most of the past week being ill at home. Horrible. The past couple of years I seem to physically have become a more normal mortal human being, the kind that can get ill for MORE than one day. I can't say I've gotten used to it yet - it's a big drain on my productivity. Colleagues and friends say it's the body shouting a 'halt' to me with all the stuff I'm doing. Well, that's all fine, but my body better know who the boss is here. The mind wants to go on, I know that much.
I was barely better and already sitting behind my computer again cramming out text I was supposed to write, standing under the shower and coming up with new material for my comics, and pacing around the house while the brain just keeps going. Can't say that what I wrote was entirely flawless, but considering I was still ill, the flaws were all minor.

It's the pacing that's starting to worry me, though. I've noticed lately that when I really get on a writing / concept development spree, I pace. I even mumble a bit. I don't notice that I'm doing it because I'm deep in thought, fitting things together, throwing away ideas I can't use, looking at different angles, etcetera. But the past few days I've started noticing that I do this now. I pace. Not entirely like a madman yet, but I pace. Like you see crazy scientists and musicians do in the movies. Pacing around in my bedroom, which is easy to do because around my bed there's an exact U-shaped path to walk back and forth in.
I'm wondering if I should worry. I know one thing, though: I've been cooked up in this house for nearly a week, I've done all my chores and all my writing and drawing, and right now I'm biking into town and going to the bar. I need to get out of this house and mingle with less-obsessed people again for a bit. Even if just for a few hours and even if it's not the smartest thing to do to my body right now, just having been 98% recovered from this illness. The alternative is going to sleep with even more rambling and crazy ideas in my head. No, no, I need to be amongst people.

Going out on the town for a few hours, folks. I think I need to.

No comments: