Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Yikes, this is pretty scary, actually.

This morning, just before walking into my office, I got a message from my tongue saying it had discovered something.. unusual. A pretty big hole in my tooth, big enough to be able to feel it. Now, this sort of thing doesn't happen overnight, normally, and it's in a place where I've been drilled before, so I think I swallowed a filling over the course of the night.
However, I haven't made time to go to the dentist in quite some time - I've been, I now kind of regret saying, too busy. So I call my dentist, and the receptionist actually has to enter my data into the computer again. I had been absent long enough to be taken out of the machine. Whoops.
So I set the earliest possible appointment: Friday. And that was fine, in my mind, because of work - I don't work on Friday, so the job / department wouldn't suffer. Ten minutes later I started regretting it, because this thing is getting me more nervous now. From what I can feel there isn't that much tooth in between the nerve and the outside world, so it's not unlikely this will start to hurt like a bitch way before Friday.
So, a bit more freaked out, I called again, and this time stressed the situation a bit more. The earliest they could schedule me, even considering the situation, was tomorrow just before noon. Which'll mean I'll pretty much have to take the day off, because there really is no point in travelling all across the country after that. But my new state of mind right now is 'fuck that, I want this thing fixed ASAP !!!'

This is nerve-wrecking, to know that there could be some really bad pain coming my way, but not to know when it'll hit and how bad it will be. Teeth are scary things, and a major pain in the ass. (Of course, the ass is not an anatomically very usual place to put them) It's interesting how everything's in a different perspective today though: everything they expect me to do, a major server being down, etc. - it all seems a bit.. insignificant. My tooth, damnit, my tooth - THAT's important ! Screw the rest !
It's scary enough for me to wish I had a girlfriend right now (probably the first time in years) because I can definately use someone who'll comfort me and all that good stuff right now. This sucks !
Yikes

No comments: