Monday, April 19, 2004

From Tilburg With Fatigue.

It's about time that I updated you all on what's going on, again - especially those of you who know me well enough that plenty will and does happen in my life if you don't hear from me in a while.

Let's start off with my most common subject as of late: the The Grim DotCom backstash. I only got one episode done this weekend, so I'm afraid I still don't have two months' worth.
There. That's enough on that subject. I think you'll all agree.

So what has kept me so damn busy then ? On Friday, I cleaned out our hall closet. I'd been meaning to do that for a year and a half or so by now and it's only gotten more and more of a wasteland since. Cultures were developing there, languages spoken, space travel - it wasn't pretty. It's clean now, all the useless stuff has been thrown out, and it amazes me how much available space you can create just by reorganising what you own.
All this was brought on because I wanted to demolish our garden. I needed tools and I couldn't find them in that mess. So the mess had to be gotten rid of, first. Then I turned back to the garden.
I took out a large square of the tiles, creating a whole new section where grass and plants can and will grow. It'll give the garden a nicer, greener outlook, it'll give the cats more uncontrolled green wilderness to play in, and it will finally make mowing the lawn worth it. Also I've been planning to plant some of that cat nip I brought back with me from Philly last November. Nice little surprise for our cats. I'm growing it in a pot in the (closed-off) guest room, right now. As soon as I feel these plants will last outside, they'll be moved there.
More demolishing took place on Saturday, when I tore Vik's couch apart. Again, this may sound strange, but the thing has been outside since we got the pool table, and despite the plastic sail we keep over it, it's rotted away inside. It stank bigtime when we took the plastic seal off on Saturday, so I decided then and there - this couch is dead. And I asked Vik permission to kill it officially.
Most of it is gone - wrapped in convenient trash bags stuffed in a corner. We'll toss it out bit by bit. And if it wasn't rainy and windy on Sunday, I would have torn down the rest of it.

Friday night our friend Marieke came over to visit and watch movies n stuff. That was a pleasant surprise because I'm near broke this month. Paycheck comes in again next week, so it's all good, but I couldn't go out. (Probably also why I unleashed destruction on our hall closet, the garden, and Vik's couch) This resulted in Vik also ambitiously trying to clean his room (I don't know exactly what he was hoping for..) and me deciding the living room, the hall and the stairs could use a good vacuuming again. I swear, I can't remember us getting this much done in one weekend since, well, we moved in.

So on top of all that, I got one page of The Grim DotCom done. And I watched some TV. That sums up the stuff I've kept myself busy with.

Other matters worth mentioning: Our cat Damien was showing some bald spots so Vik took him to the vet's. Fleas and ear mite again, so we're putting stuff on his ass and in his ear - PEOPLE don't like it when you do that to them, so imagine what a rather large cat with razor sharp claws thinks of it. Luckily, Damien's a total sweetheart, and with a little cuddling you can hold him just so that he calmly coorporates. Still doesn't mean he likes it, though. Poor kitty.

And in other news.. Vik and I have been talking. In October his work's department in Tilburg will close definitavely and he's already been applying in other locations in different cities. This I knew. He brought up that if he did get a job rather far away, he'd move there. But that would be a while, and getting housing elsewhere first will also take quite a while. Still, it may mean I need a new roommate later this year. Bet that'll be interesting. Most of my RL friends don't qualify because they're allergic to cats - and in all honesty, I'm keeping them if I can. We talked about that, too - Vik doesn't really want to leave Damien behind unless it's better for him, but at the same time, he considers this place Damien's home. So we'll see. For all we know the only place he can get elsewhere won't allow for cats, making the whole discussion rather pointless. At least we're both very civil and open about it - we BOTH want the cats to stay with us, but we'll decide whichever is best for them. I'm pretty sure Satan will be best off staying here, though. He's happy here.

Anyway.. that should put you guys all up to speed. I'm so out of touch with most folks. Sionnain called on Friday but we couldn't talk for long. She wasn't doing too well but still keeping an optimist spirit about it which is encouraging. If only lady Luck will smile her way a bit, I'm sure she'll be fine. And I also tried to get in touch with my buddy Dave, only to find out his Tilburg phone number was no longer in use. I called his cell and left a voice message 'I just KNOW theres a story behind this. Care to call me and enlighten me ?' We'll see what happened there...

René out. Goodnight, folks.

No comments: