Sunday, April 04, 2004

It's Been A Long Time, Shouldn'ta Left Ya

I hope none of my readers was ignorant enough to take ANYTHING in that last post seriously - you should have paid attention to the date if you had. Anyway, I'm back. And I've been terribly busy !
So here's the latest stuff on my life:

I finished an excruciatingly difficult-to-do Grim DotCom episode, that took me nearly all my free time over the past week. The drawings look amazing though, and, just like with the art episode (which is currently showing in our Probeersel.com theatre), resizing it into page format ruins it completely. It's frustrating. Perhaps I need to think about a new format for that comic, or cut down on panels, and in doing so, in pacing, wittiness and story. Not sure I'm ready to do that yet, but if I keep producing better and better art but the end result screws it up, I'm gonna be too frustrated to continue this concept. Then again, I know damn well that, one, it's a terribly popular comic. Two, it's a great (though not completely unique) concept that can run for a REALLY long time. Three, it gives me great opportunities to vent all sorts of stuff on life, bureaucracy, death, people's general stupidity, and I get to explore all kinds of stuff I was never able to do before. And four, all that, and the story, and the pacing and jokes etc. ALWAYS COME BEFORE THE ART.
Still, though. After that 24 Hour Comic I feel like taking on new challenges. I want to do that Non Biblia Sacra script so god damn badly, you have no idea. I need my hands free ! But to get there, I first need to get The Grim DotCom, Worst Case Scenario, the Probeersel books, the re-setup of the site, the new T-shirt competition (which will likely start any day now since we only have one original shirt left anymore), and possibly Penguism (since Sionnain isn't quite back in the saddle yet and the comic's missed two updates already) out of the way. Not to mention, my job. And my social life, which has been shouting louder and louder claims on my time and I'm trying to balance it just só that people, when this busy period of my life is over for a while again, won't have turned away from me forgood. Annnnd finally, I suppose some sleep every now and then might have upgraded from luxery to the status of necessity.
But I *will* do that story. At some point. I can't wait. It's gonna be hellish and I have to learn to draw COMPLETELY differently, but it's gonna be a major challenge and I'm all for that now. I feel like I'm slipping into a bit of a rut, and that tale may just be exactly what I need to get me out of it again.

Anyway.
About the claims my social life makes on my free time: Thursday night I was out in bar Cul de Sac which was celebrating its 5 year anniversary. I don't think I'd have been forgiven if I'd made a no-show. It was good though, talked with a lot of people I know there, and also got to congratulate Troy (Titane) on his officially joining the ranks of the publishing artists on Probeersel.com, and I got to hang with Joris for a bit who I hadn't seen since somewhere halfway February.
Then Friday, there was a lot of household stuff that really needed to be done, as well as drawing (as mentioned above), which both went on into Saturday, on the evening of which I had to make my way to The Hague where Michelle was having her house warming party. I knew a whopping three people at that party, so I was kinda glad to go back home.
On Sunday my mom calls me while I was still asleep, to let me know.. that the tickets arrived. That's right, folks: Stockholm, here I and Vik come ! Sure, it's only three days, but it's a free vacation ! Who can not be excited about that ?! Well, besides my wallet - the travel expenses from airport to hotel are for ourselves, and Stockholm's a notoriously expensive city, booze-wise. And we all know how expensive that might get for someone like me. But I'll be fine. Most importantly, I'm out of the house for a while and I get to travel without the travel costs. We should really figure something out about the cats, though - someone needs to take care of them those days. Perhaps we can get a friend to stay in the house those days. We'll see.

Work has been insane all week, but there's all sorts of progress being made, which makes it GOOD busy-ness. I could do without it for a while though - like I said, I really need, need, NEED my hands free for just a few days to work on my comics. I have another house warming next Friday and I'm seriously thinking about calling it off - first of all, I hit a creative vein so The Grim DotCom's making some progress again, and I want to exploit that to the fullest possible. Secondly, it's in Eindhoven which is far from my favourite city to be at all, and finally, most of the people who'll be there I've seen at another birthday just last week. So I'm thinking - although regrettable - passing it up will be good.
If anyone reads this who's also waiting for a call or visit from me, I hope I gave a clear enough impression of exactly how insane my life's gotten, and that I really barely have the time to sit down for a good meal. I have too much mess to clean up. The Grim DotCom's backstash is the first on the list.

Anyway. I skipped on some perfectly good sleeping time (which was planned in since I couldn't come up with a good storyboard anymore tonight) to report all this to you folks. Be grateful, damnit !
If work allows me a bit of slow time tomorrow, I may check in again. Otherwise, I'll just see ya when I see ya.

No comments: