Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Again ?!

I'm ill, again. It's sort of a throat infection / cold, and it's not TERRIBLY bad. But again, I was better off staying home instead of going to the office.
This really sucks. My throat feels shattered to shreds, and ironically, I want to smoke. I remember how cigarette smoke can really clear up the irritated feeling in my throat - I kinda want that right now.
That's about as badly as I miss smoking, still, though. I suppose I should update you all on my little experiment. I'm getting the distinct impression I'm the victim of a common misconception: that quitting smoking is an interesting experience. I'm still mostly bored with it. And people keep telling me things like that it won't get bad until two weeks after quitting first, or two months. Sounds like a pretty lame 'challenge' to me.
I've even gone as far as to make it as difficult as possible on me. I am carrying a pack of smokes, still wrapped, in my coat, so that in the evening I have no excuse NOT to smoke if I'd want to. I still go on all the smoke breaks with colleagues (I just don't smoke, that's all - the fresh air was the best part about those breaks anyway). And I can honestly say I still don't miss it - except for the throat thing then, and that's just now that I have this cold.
Blah. I need real challenges. At this rate, there's no point in having quit for me - but then again, maybe THAT's the mind trick I'm playing on myself, that as long as it seems easy enough, I won't see the point and just resume smoking. I dunno. It's weird.
The only thing I can add to this is that life's a whole lot easier without smoking, at least in a country as opposed to smoking in public as this country has become. I can travel around by train for as long and often as I want, I don't have to mind other people too much, I don't have to estimate if the next train arrives too soon for me to finish a cigarette, etc. Non-smokers really don't realise how easy they have it.

In other news there's been plenty of ruckus around Worst Case Scenario, both the comic (or rather, the cult concept of that constant punchline) and the movie that the comic gets confused with more and more. It's funny for now, but I really don't want to be remembered for that comic - it's just a joke, folks. It's a lighthearted, one-year, semi-challenging attempt at turning a funny anekdote into a cult comic, and that's ALL it is. I think I've made much more interesting comics before, and will make much more interesting comics later in life as well, so just get over it. Yes, it's a comic about sausages. Why aren't you all pestering Joep ? Officially, it's HIS comic, geez (although admittedly I've drawn the majority of them).
I can just see it now, my epitaph: Here lies René van Densen. Wil je daar ook worstjes bij ?

No comments: