Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I was half planning to call in sick tomorrow.

I've been drop dead tired the past few days, more than in any of the recent months. Yesterday I went straight to bed at 9 - with a brief waking up because my mom called - and slept straight through until after the alarm clock went off, and even beyond that. Hurriedly got to work at the usual time, and slept both on the way to and the way back from work. And I'm tired again now but I had some daily comics to take care of first.
I haven't really been feeling too well either, on top of not being too cheerful (see previous posts). A few people have showed concern, amongst whom one of Probeersel.com's excellent comic artists, Bandirah, and that sort of helps. But the idea of living in a cave somewhere distant for a decade or so still holds great appeal to me right now.
At work things haven't been terribly great either, everyone's concerned with the organisational changes that may very well end up erasing our department's core products and approach, which before were sort of the pride and joy of the company. But that's mostly speculation (with a healthy dose of realistic expectations) so who knows, none of it may happen. We've been officially told otherwise with only a few hints of bad news to come. At least the head of the department we're getting shoved under claims to be open and honest and didn't seem to contradict himself. He doesn't seem to be a bad guy and he claims there's no hidden agendas in this move, so we'll have to wait and see. On the other hand, as I told a colleague, it's just a job and daily matters certainly are a lot more important.
We're also being moved to another floor tomorrow so that'll produce an interesting work day...
Then there are some projects going terribly awry as well as some of our applications which suffered some major crises the past few days - add all the beforementioned up and you can imagine that I half planned to call in sick tomorrow. Especially since I don't feel too well anyway. However, just this evening I got an email saying the little contest I applied for won me tickets to the preview of Hellboy, which won't officially premiere till late this year in this country. I want to go - but it's the middle of the (working) day, tomorrow. And I probably will get back in the office around the time the move starts. Annnnd will likely somehow have to compensate the hours missed, and you know me, I hate owing anyone anything so I'll probably compensate them at the end of the day. I'm gonna be home so damn late tomorrow it won't be funny, I just know it.
So there's some good news: I get to see Hellboy - and it's a welcome break from the working day. But don't expect me to cheer up about anything else anytime soon :/

No comments: