Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Thank God For Trekkies

So on Monday night I went to bed at 2 - which was later than I actually planned on but still semi-early for me. I was completely intending to fall asleep. You know, actually GET some sleep. Since I heard good things about that. So I lay there and pop, an idea for a Grim DotCom page jumps up inside my head.
Ignore it, I think ambitiously. Go to sleep.
That's not how it works however - by 2 30 the idea had grown out to a fully-fledged storyboard and was banging on the inside of my skull "Let me out ! Let me out of here ! Write me down !"
2 40. I'm exhausted from trying to fall asleep, I click on the light and write the damn thing down - it's a Star Trek kinda parody and I'll admit the idea also made me chuckle a bit after I scribbled the storyboard. But it was the middle of the damn night so I click off the light again and desperately try to sleep.
I only just barely don't oversleep on Tuesday morning, then follows a working day, and of course I sleep soundly on the train rides back and forth to Amsterdam. I get home at 8, take a deeeeeeep breath, and ready the drawing table. In 3 hours time, I draw the necessary images for the page on A3. Then I scan, edit, colour, shrink down, balloon and letter the bunch and at 1 30 I've got the damn page online. Less than 24 hours after conceiving.
But, you know, when you're doing something involving a cult series like Star Trek, it's just like when you use religious elements: people will bitch and moan about it. So I decide to keep a little pre-screening amongst a few trekkies I know online who happened to be up, and yes: they immediately suggest changing the uniform colours.
Which is a lot of work because for that I basically have to get back to the colour part of the process (see the little summary above) and then reshrink the panels to exactly the same size again - but, at around 2, all's good and well and online.
I marvel at the page for another while whilst I enjoy a well-deserved drink. At 3, I finally make the wise decision to crawl under the covers.

Needless to say, I overslept this morning. All thanks to a cult series from the 70ies and a grim reaper. The episode I'm talking about should be visible on Probeersel.com in a few weeks, so keep yer eye out for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://fjwgbgrm.com/lqcz/znlx.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://quyrdpiu.com/bndz/bjix.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://fjwgbgrm.com/lqcz/znlx.html | http://umnudbaa.com/wwwp/sugr.html