Thursday, December 04, 2003

.. And There Was Much Rejoicing.

So yeah, on Tuesday I went to the doctor to have my ear checked. Naturally noone bought that it was an ear infection, no matter how much I insisted that I was sure it was one. So the assistant was trying to wash my ear out ,then looked into it, then called the doctor after all. She comes in, looks, and says, 'yep, thats an ear infection' NOOOOO -- REALLLLLY ?!
Sorry, but I hate how sure these doctors are of themselves as opposed to what my body tells me. They think their own consult much more valuable than direct signals - after all, a judgement made on the other side of the phone is infinately more clearly to be true than the actual signal that the right side of your head is hot, burns, throbs and aches like hell. Ear infection ? Oh come on, surely it's merely that your ear is plugged up. Come on in and we'll flush it out, no big deal.
Anywho. I got a neat little bottle with ear drops that are supposed to be some kind of very light acid and smells suspiciously much like vinegar. And I got it on Tuesday, when really the worst of the pain and swelling clearly were over already. So I don't know how much good this'll do me that my body wasn't already working on, but what the hell. It's three vinegar-smelly drops a day and I suppose it can't hurt.
Still can only hear on one side though. It bugs me - my left ear is trying desperately to compensate by attempting to get twice the information it usually gets, so it feels like I'm having a huge traffic jam of info on that side. Also, it's been compensating with my sense of audio direction - I can actually tell again when a sound is on my right, but my brain fools me into thinking I actually hear it with that ear, which I don't. It's my left ear figuring it out and sendin the signal ! Truly bizarre experience, man, I tell you. Try it sometime, being deaf on one side for a week when you're someone who adapts to new circumstances fast. It's mindboggling.
Anywho, today's an interesting day. The next few days we're shutting down one of our major servers. So clients will be on the phone by the dozens today I'm sure, because even though we sent out an email explaining that for two days services would be down, nobody of course actually READS their email, when it's so much more fun to act surprised about this and get really indignant with us.
So that'll be loads of fun, and the fact that I won't likely be doing most of my usual work since that requires that server. We'll see what to do today. I now have to run off to a meeting with a client, though. So talk with you later.

No comments: