Sunday, February 15, 2004

Now I've Seen It All.

I'm ill - just a little 'by the way'. I'm barely ever ill, but lately it's starting to happen more and more. I'm not sure what to blame this change on - maybe it's that I'm working so hard. Or maybe it's the 3+ year effect of working in an office with a consistently failing air conditioning, resulting in way-too-high temperatures throughout the year and a major oxygene defficiency (I'm not the only one who suffers it; many people so far have gotten ill and have spent time at home from having passed out or worse. They're working on hopefully one of these days fixing the problem..). Or maybe it's the smoking. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe it's the changing climate - the past years have been NUTS, temperature-wise. In any case, me becoming 'more human' isn't all that shocking.
It gets shocking when you add a day like today to it. I went to the Cul de Sac sometime after 1, after cleaning up some more work on Probeersel.com. Figured I'd get a quick Drunk Fish and head back home to sleep. Yeah...
I HAD TO WAIT IN LINE JUST TO GET IN !!!
I remember when that bar was called the ZOAP... a nice, rustic bar where sometimes people actually showed up. A busy night was when over fifteen people were in the house. Now, ten times that amount is crammed into that same small space (I kid you not).
Shocked as I was from that experience, and annoyed with the enormous crowd that was present there, another shock presented itself later that evening. One of my oldest, closest friends, Joost, the inventor of the Drunk Fish and someone who I've known for about a decade now, and who's never been either happy or in anything really resembling a relationship, was there tonight, with HIS GIRLFRIEND. And... HE WAS HAPPY !!
Now, I'm very happy for him, but really, I'm getting too old for these kinds of changes. I seriously felt old, learning all this and finding myself only just barely able to process this new information - it felt like the universe was upside down.
I either should stop working round the clock on my comics and get something of a life back, or just reside in the knowledge that I know jack shit about reality anymore. It makes full 360 turns while you're watching it. Madness, I tell you - madness.
So yeah. If there's any moral to what I've learned, it's this. Sticking your head in the sand doesn't stop the world from turning. Better keep your head in there if you can't take the spin anymore...

No comments: