Thursday, October 16, 2003

Coffee.. sweet, steamy caffeine...
Stayed up kinda late last night and watched Ed Wood on DVD. What can I say ? Tim Burton remains one of the most brilliant directors of our time - and the fact that he chose to make a film about the worst moviemaker of all times makes this a terribly ironic fact. The movie continues to captivate me, which is odd because I can't say what's so engaging about it. I mean, it's all a bit too grotesquely sugercoated and the acting seems old-fashioned (which MUST have been part of the concept - we're not exactly talking about a cast devoid of talent, after all) and so it seems more of a parody, but at the same time it's not really funny either. So you end up watching this drama and have no clue why it was so fascinating to watch.
I have a bit of a clue of what might have helped: Burton. Whatever movie he does, he always succeeds to create these amazing settings and visualisations. No matter how bad a story might be, if you tell it beautifully, it will still fascinate people. Or, in the case of Wood, even if you tell it badly. Hey, does this mean that as long as you tell a story it will fascinate people ?? There's hope for my comics yet...

A colleague walked in today and the first thing he said was 'I found the reasoning error in your truth table'. I HATE THAT DOORS RIDDLE !! (Besides, he didn't. He thought I had taken the situation of remaining in place / switching as 50 / 50, and I didn't. I simply logically mapped out all possible situations - how hard is this for people to grasp ??)

It's quiet in the office yet again. It's been a quiet week all week. I would rather be working than updating this blog or drawing comics, but when there's nothing to do, what are my options ? I need to do SOMETHING to distract my mind from concluding that doing nothing is a task also perfectly accomplishable at home.
But ahwell. It's nearly week-end again. Oh, I didn't mention that yet, did I ? I only work four days a week: Mondays - Thursdays. Then again, Probeersel.com is a part-time job (and doesn't pay a dime - not that I'd want it to) on top of it, so I figure I'm making more than my share of contribution to this world. I have no qualms whatsoever about 'only' working four days a week and getting payed very nicely for that, and then even drawing comics or updating site stuff at work when there's nothing else for me to do.

Anyway, better finish this post and get to pretending to work. René out.

No comments: