Monday, October 20, 2003

From The North Sea With Love

The North Sea sends its love. He's doing well, all things considered. But hey, who isn't getting ill these days ? Lord knows I'm getting older, too..
It was great seeing him again. I just walked out on the beach and just stood there while he touched my shoes. I'm not sure how long I stood there just admiring the magnificence of the sea, but at some point it was getting pretty chilly - and I was getting annoyed with all the other people walking their dogs and kids, and the kites flying around at dangerous speeds and occasionally crashing down on people (I kid you not, some guy got this kite at full speed on his foot. It would have landed on his head if he hadn't at least use that fraction of that second to start moving out of its way). What's wrong with people ? Is seeing the sea not recreation enough ? Is it not an awe-inspiring experience enough that you need to bring your dog so he can chase after balls and pee against poles on the beach ? (I'm referring to the tall wooden things, not actual inhabitants of Poland, for anyone who interprets this otherwise, here.)
Read Chuck Palahniuk's Lullaby during the excruciatingly long and difficult train rides, because this country was, once again, torn up in terms of public transportation, of course mainly in the very direction I wanted to go, on the very day I decided to venture out. I was of course not deterred - you can't live in Tilburg and work in Amsterdam for over three years without becoming somewhat of a train veteran and knowing every alternative route to get where you want no matter how bad the circumstances.. at least, you can't if you're me. In any case, I had Lullaby with me, compliments of Joris, a friend who is always interested in exchanging cultural experiences.
It was good, though it kind of struck me as a mix of Jack Kerouac, Stephen King, and a few leftover ideas from Fight Club (Also by Palahniuk), but I'm spoiled - I'm used now to John Fowles, who, as far as I'm concerned, remains the undefeated number one english novelist in the World. But I'm sure I'll mention him again later.
Also rewatched The People vs. Larry Flynt. It made me remember cheering when Probeersel.com got its first religious freak response a short while back. It's sad that people are so hung up on their, to me, misguided religious and moral beliefs, but hey, to each their own, and they have every right to state whatever misguided opinions they have - as do I and any of the other Probeersel artists. I believe his exact words were 'I hope god strikes you down!' - how can that not crack you up ? But besides that, I believe religious and moralistic opposition means people take you seriously enough to pay at least a little bit of attention. Why else would they state such things ? More, more ! Call me a heathen, a sinner, the Devil himself with a Dutch passport ! As long as people actually pay attention, 'coz I believe we're all doing something interesting here.
And what do you have to lose with paying attention ? The comics are free. Hell, even the t-shirts are free, I'm paying for it all ! Just so people pay attention to what I, Gregory, Sionnain, Satan, Joep are doing. I think we're all doing fairly interesting stuff that shouldn't go by unnoticed. So please, critisize us, call us the scum of the earth, mock us, parody us... knock yourself out. It'd be a waste of my money if you guys didn't.
In any case, I had my nice peaceful day with my good old friend, who is sure to survive me and millions of other young, creatively ambitious souls to follow in my footsteps. I'm glad he calls me. He is strong, beautiful, timeless, and I'm always welcome to visit. Can't claim the same of most of my other friends - can you ?

No comments: