Monday, February 21, 2005

.... And We're Back.

Well, that was an.. interesting week. At 26 years old, I'm now president of the first webcomics foundation in the Netherlands, possibly the world. I've also handed out a lot of flyers (and several enthousiastic people helped me out there), the ClickBurg organisation T-shirts have been printed, I've attended the comics convention in Rijswijk the past weekend, I've been interviewed a few times, the ClickBurg press release made it all the way to the ANP which is basically the Dutch Associated Press, and, and, and.. good grief, I don't even know what the hell I've been doing with my week off anymore. It seemed like an eternity and a lot has happened. I honestly wouldn't have been able to maintain the Word of the Day that week, so I made a wise choice in not watching the media for it. I haven't even been able to spend much time drawing, either, which bugs me because that was one of the main reasons I took that week off !

But I'm back. And despite the fact that, amongst many other things, I'll be heavily redesigning the ClickBurg site this week, I intend to report more monstrosities in 'new' Dutch language. To start it off: today I had no trouble spotting the Word of the Day. It's 'imamopleiding'.

Now, an imam is a religious leader of the islam society. There are several in the Netherlands, and obviously, with all the bad press the islam society has received due to the murder of Theo van Gogh and the threats to politicians who even had to go into hiding, and the ensuing debate about integration having failed, this nearly made the front page. Apparently a start has now been made with special education for imams, who are seen as some of the causes of muslims not integrating into Dutch society and a 'them versus us' mentality.
However, the word suggests that it's an education to become an imam. It's deceptive, because in essence it means imams will be educated to fit 'our' society better. Seriously, folks, I love to see all the spin doctoring that's being done, but the articles for instance also mention that women are also allowed in the education, but won't be able to become imams in practice since the islam doesn't allow it. This is an extremely transparant training to mold the islam belief so that the islam society poses less of a threat to the rest of us. Which is fine in itself, but good grief, the spin doctoring and halleluyah sentiment that surrounds this kind of news is enough for me to proclaim it the Word of the Day in my usual dictatorial style. And I'll be doing it again tomorrow. To another word in the media.

No comments: