Saturday, February 26, 2005

Lost In Transgression.

On days like these I don't want to play Language Cop anymore. I mean, honestly, you don't know where to begin, and to make matters worse, I'm even late with my next Grim DotCom episode ! So I'm going to give you a quick but no doubt incomplete rundown of a few things that only took me seconds to find:

- 'Poppenseks' (puppet sex) - from an article about Team America, of course. Is this word intended for all situations where puppets have sex with one another ? How often will that be ? And does it in- or exclude sex between humans and puppets ? And animals and puppets ? And - good god, even *my* sick mind wants to stop thinking about this now. Bad word. We don't need it !

- oh ! The 'stoeptegelincident' story returns ! By now it's a murder, and to decide the guilty one from the two main suspects, DNA-testing will now be involved. The murder is labelled 'viaductmoord' (overpass murder). Come on, folks. Overpass murder ?? As *one* word ?? Why ?!! And to make matters worse, the article also invents the word 'risicoviaducten' (risky overpasses).

- 'betalingsbeschermingsverzekeringen'... *takes a deep breath before figuring out the translation of THAT one* 'payments protection insurances'. You have to admit, it's a gem. Imagine having a job where you have to pronounce that all day. The size your tongue would be when the day is over !

- 'bemoeizorg' (meddle care). The label was necessary to put a face to more proactive (and even, judging from the article, forced) care for people in troubled families when they don't voluntarily go get the help and care they require. I'll admit, considering the other gems I've found today, this is a weak one. On a quiet day this would have been a real beauty to mention.

- and this story is too good to omit: apparently the government took over half a year to figure out what the word 'silaa7' means, which was found on a list of items that were necessary to prepare an attack on the government and a nuclear power plant. Apparently the word is easy enough to find in the Arabic-Dutch educational dictionary, and apparently it delayed the case for the full half year. Even our intelligence agency, our national criminal investigation agency, and our national forensic institute had been put on figuring out the meaning of the word and couldn't figure it out. In the end, someone simply googled it (which is impressive, because I only get one hit on that word, and I couldn't figure it out from that one page). (For the record, it means 'weapon')

So, despite all the great candidates for the Word of the Day today (and admit it, there are some real beauties in there), for once the Word of the Day is awarded the title for different reasons. The Word of the Day is 'silaa7' and let's hear it for all the bright minds in the Dutch offices of authority ! *Applause*

Since this made me laugh so damn much, I can't claim to make an impartial decision on what the Word of the Week will be, so I will pick it tomorrow (which is what the original idea was anyway) and if you'll excuse me now, I have a lot of writing and drawing to do before midnight. Wish me luck !

No comments: