Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Weak Wednesday.

Well, I had a long tough discussion with my body this morning when I had to get up, and my body won: it was indeed wiser to stay in bed today. So for most of the day, I was unconscious while my body took on this rather stubborn germ that's been a nuisance the past days. The battle hasn't fully been fought yet, but I feel quite a bit better, lemme tell ya. (Of course, I always claim to be feeling better when I'm ill, so there's no way for you to know wether or not that's true)
Still, oddly enough that still made for quite a tiring day, so now that I'm trying to find the Word of the Day, the fact that the site of the Volkskrant is being an ass (I'm getting proxy error after proxy error) makes me give up on them, and the only other newspaper I bothered to check online is the Metro. After just a page and a half I'm terribly annoyed with the news already. I mean, page two, top of the page, it mentions that our queen, according to her new autobiography, had doubts before her ceremony (you know, where she turns queen) wether or not the ermine cloak she wore would have been the correct thing to wear. There's an article about increased discrimination towards aziatic and muslim people... Hello, can you compare these two ? Muslims can have any - excuse the formulation but it's relevant here - skin colour on the planet, but 'aziatic' is clearly intended to indicate skin colour and a few other racial qualities. We're, plain and simple, talking about increased racism against ethnic groups in The Netherlands of which the majority is known to likely be muslims. Stop pretending they're discriminating muslims, they're discriminating marrocans and turks. And I hate using these words because to me - I hate sounding like Gregory here, but it's true - they're all just people.
But this one tops it all of that page and a half: there was a big bunch of explosions in a fireworks company that wiped out part of the city it was in, in 2000, and here's how these things go in this country: the lawsuit is STILL ongoing !!! (And I don't remember too clearly, but it probably took at least a year to start up, as usual, too) So I hereby nominate an old classic from the media of that time, mentioned again in this article (and never ever used in any other context except in relation to the explosions in that company !!) -- 'vuurwerkramp' (firewors disaster). That's about as good as I'm willing to find for you folks today - sorry, but I kind of have to be a bit selfish today. Perhaps I'll make it up to you all tomorrow. René out.

No comments: