Thursday, February 10, 2005

Time for another lineup.

Thursday, and feeling all encouraged from the fact that some completely meaningless person took offense to what I'm doing here makes me want to put in extra effort today ! So here goes:
From Spits:
- from one and the same article (front page in fact), two words: 'Antiterreurplan' and 'radicaliseringsprocessen'. The first should be rather obvious: anti terror plan. The second one refers to muslims being taught to become radically opposed to certain aspects of Dutch society in their mosques, and means, literally translated, 'radicalisation processes'.
- from an article plugging a special train that will be driving this autumn in celebration of our queen's silver jubilee, 'evenemententrein', meaning event train.
- from an article about the World Championship of cooking pea soup, a special word for that: 'Snertkoken'. I mean, after all, it is such a special activity that splitting it in two is pointless, and it's set apart from cooking anything else so much, that we need this label. I understand this. Don't you ?
- I hate to get repetitive, but I also found the words 'antiterrorismeconferentie' (anti terrorism conference) and 'tsunami-baby' (aka. 'Baby 81', a Sri Lanka baby who survived the tsunami and who now has two families fighting over being its parents - DNA testing will be done).

I'll admit that, after all that, I decided to read the rest of the Spits newspaper for today a lot less attentively - I mean, too much is too much. I also ignored the Metro and Volkskrant for today. So without further ado, the winner: the Word of the Day, selected completely undemocratically and without any justification for my choice, simply because I can and because if it pisses you off I'll simply laugh:

Snertkoken !!!

No comments: