Tuesday, February 22, 2005

More Linguistic Decay

Ok, I have a couple of candidates I want to tell you about. I've already made my choice for the Word of the Day, but I thought the others were interesting to mention as well.

First off, GoGo tours has set up a special website, dumpjeschatje.nl. It's a site filled with tips on how to dump your beloved before your vacation, because statistics show that most young people prefer going on holiday without a proverbial ball and chain beside them. So the site is full of 'dumptips'. As usual, I feel this didn't need to become one word.

Another article tells us that the city of Amsterdam isn't too pleased with the advertising campaign of Transavia, who have put images of weed plants on their buses in Barcelona. The word the newspaper invented for this is 'wiet-promotie', but:
- Transavia is promoting their bus rides to Amsterdam, not weed.
- Amsterdam is upset because of the association of Amsterdam and weed - they're not concerned with the promotion of weed itself.
- In short, weed is not being promoted. The word is, simply, incorrect.

There's an article about troubles with handicapped students in the Dutch equivalent of high school education. Apparently the teachers are complaining about the workload these students bring with them, who are also referred to as 'rugzakleerlingen' (backpack students). I gather from the article that this is already a common term, but the only association the word conjures up in my mind is students with backpacks. Of which, let's face it, there are plenty. And I'm fairly certain only a minority of them is handicapped, so it's not exactly something I'll think of first with this word. But I guess the word is already very common, so it automatically falls outside the selection.

But the Word of the Day *has* to be this word, from the headline of an article about the phenomenon of SUV's. In the headline, and in the article, they are referred to as 'fakejeeps' - I don't think I need to translate this one. Because it's English. Two English words, merged together in a very Dutch fashion. This word would not be in use in English, and it should not be in use in Dutch. There's no competition here: it's the unchallenged Word of the Day.

No comments: