Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Two Day's Worth Of Words Because I'm Late.

I haven't managed to find the Word of the Day this monday - I had a good candidate, 'aanzuigende', but it was actually in the dictionary. I haven't had time to find another one because my working day has been really busy, right after work the train ride was disasterous, and I had the rest of my evening booked solid with ClickBurg-related stuff. On top of it all: I'm ill. For the first time in three days I'm willing to admid it: I'm ill - I have been since saturday, and yes, I am the stereotypical wannabe-tough guy who doesn't let that bother him and keeps working at everything, but truth is, for three days straight I've been minimally productive.I'm doing the best I can, but right now I don't have a Word of the Day. Simple as that. I'll try to find TWO tomorrow, one of which should have appeared today. Watch this post, I hope to update it later.

Update 1: First, the Word of the Day for Tuesday: "Lynndiƫn". This has everything to do with Lynndie England, the female soldier who was photographed in front of tortured prisoners in the Middle East. Apparently the picture is being parodied online so much with all different people in different situations that this craze is now called 'to Lynndie someone'. I read the article and - understandably, I hope - don't expect to find any better Word of the Day for Tuesday.

And I should have just taken the time to go to the Volkskrant site yesterday, because there is a gem of an article there, written either by or for a complete computer-nitwit. It talks about peer-to-peer software while calling it 'virtuele ruilbeurzen', virtual trade fairs, it clearly deals with 'victims' who were just too stupid to shield their computer properly or even put their files in proper places, yet calls it a major threat to THEM (whereas if you ask me, people like that should have their PC taken away from them immediately) -- but really, when you mention the Windows OS and call it a 'computermotor' (I don't think I need to translate that one) I really don't know whether or not you're taking a piss. I fear the worst, since it wasn't an especially hilarious article except for the used terms...

No comments: