Friday, February 25, 2005

Lavishing you with Linguistic Litter

I know you all must have missed me like crazy yesterday, but I was too busy - it was, for once (and today I feel very strongly that it also was the last time), my day off instead of Friday, I switched them around. Of course I also packed that day full with activities, and towards the evening I had to go to The Hague, where I unexpectedly stranded and had to stay over with some friends. All day I was only online for about a total of half an hour I think, and even then I had lots to do, so I didn't get round to the Word of the Day of yesterday. At least I didn't get round to it.. online. I did, however, pick up a newspaper and picked a word or two that I thought were definate candidates. I'll first run the picks of Thursday by you, and then today. That should make up for it - right ?

- 'Griepgolf' (flu wave). No. Nonono. The article also uses the perfectly acceptable word meaning flu epidemy, there really is no reason whatsoever to speak of a flu wave. Especially in the light of the recent tsunami tragedies - have a heart, folks !
- another epidemy: 'vogelpestpandepedemie' (bird flu building epidemy). *just sits and stares at the word, trying to figure out why.. and what the HELL it means*
- economy news: faith in the Dutch economy amongst citizens is reportedly restoring, and the article gratefully uses these words: 'consumentenvertrouwen' (consumer trust) and 'producentenvertrouwen' (producer trust).

There was also the word 'hoofd-naar-voren-en-weer-naar-achteren-muziek' (head forward and back music), but since it came from a column-like review of a disco (which was written in a more personal and creative way), I'll let that slide. I'm feeling generous.

And the winner of Thursday was... 'vogelpestpandepedemie' !
*continues to sit here and look at the word for a couple of minutes, then shakes his head and goes on*

Now, I do believe I owe you a Word of the Day for Friday, too, don't I ? Let's see what the media have slipped into their articles then.
- news from my own city: Tilburg is the first in the Netherlands to get a dispenser for vibrators and other sex toys. This thing of course needed a name (as it usually goes) and it consequently got labelled 'erotiekautomaat'. (erotica dispenser)
- the policy of club bouncers who reportedly keep people out on racist grounds, needed a label as well, and the choice was made to call it 'horecadiscriminatie' (catering industry discrimination). How many ways can you interpret this word, exactly ? It's mindboggling, honestly. Let's kill this word of quietly now before people new to the Dutch language bust their minds on it.
- 'patateter' (french fries eater). You have to understand: it's reasonably difficult in this country to find someone who never ever eats french fries. So we're talking about a large section of the population - but is the fact that they eat or have at some point eaten french fries common ground enough to justify a label instead of solving this with a combination of two or three words ? I love how it sounds when you try to say it, too. Patateter. Patateter. Patateter. It's like a machine gun.
- 'hoefijzeropstelling' (horse shoe formation). I've checked, the word doesn't exist. Since the context is that three jeeps were lined up in this formation, I take it that they stood in a sort of circle which reminded the author of a horse shoe. But, again, how clear is this word ? And do we need it ? Why doesn't anyone seem to stop and think about these things ?

Luckily, these are all the gems I have for you today, and once again, I get to dictatorially pick the winner. The Word of the Day is 'patateter'. Patateter. Patateter. My tongue hurts now.

No comments: