Sunday, February 13, 2005

Time's Up.

Yes, I was late, but I had to get groceries, pull some work for ClickBurg, get the newspaper that had my interview from yesterday, and I spent seven straight hours on the new episode of the Grim DotCom which went online just in time before midnight (two and a half minutes to spare). I'd say it was a pretty busy Saturday. To top it all off, I had to watch Kentucky Fried Movie while it was on TV. That goes without saying. However, I have a newspaper in front of me now, so here goes.

The Word of the Day for Saturday is: 'huurpiraten'. Literally translated it means 'rent pirates', but can you imagine its meaning out of context ? What, there are guys with eyepatches and parrots on their shoulders, going after your rent cheque with a heavily worn down sword ? No, of course not. You *could* imagina that it means people who rent a home illegally. Sure. But no, technically speaking it should be 'verhuurpiraten', letting pirates, because this is not about people who are renting, but about people who are letting. Ridiculous word, and I won't stand for it.

And to further clear my schedule for Sunday, here is a rundown of the Words of the Day from last week:

Monday: 'kastelozen'
Tuesday: 'veiligheidshiaat'
Wednesday: 'antispyware'
Thursday: 'snertkoken'
Friday: 'care-miles'
Saturday: 'huurpiraten'

And the Word of the Week is:

Care-miles !!
I'll even tell you why: not only is it an English word, it's obviously based on air-miles, which, albeit a marketing trick word, has become a common concept here in the Netherlands, but the word has its merit: you are indeed, in a way, saving a mile of air travel each time. But the airmiles have changed in time as simply some kind of bonus points that you save, and that can be spent on more than just flight tickets, and so it seemed obvious to the insurance company CZ to talk about care-miles. It's not, however. You are not saving miles of care. Really, folks. It's a stupid word.

On that note I take my leave from all of you for a week, during which time I'll be working on my secret comic project (all will be revealed in due time), on The Grim DotCom (I really do need to restore some kind of backstash, today was insane) and of course, as seems usual lately, on the ClickBurg convention. And the only way to make that week have the slightest semblance of a vacation is if I at least don't obsessively try to hunt the Word of the Day down in the media. So no Words next week: they will return again starting Monday, February 21st.

No comments: