Saturday, February 05, 2005

An Ode To Wastes Of Time.

Today's Word of the Day is Balseizoen. Let me start of by saying that much.
Balseizoen means 'ball season' - but it's not a soccer term or anything, it refers to the phenomenon gala ball, you know, where reasonably rich people dress up in outrageously expensive suits and dresses and dance or talk while accompanied with so-called classy music, often in a beautiful building with top of the line food present etc.
It may be the working class in me. It may be that, despite for having a bit of a taste for class, truly formal events make my neck itch. It may be that the banker / insurer I work for employs too many people that might go there. It may be my strong aversion against the rich. But I've always felt that there's nothing, absolutely nothing, more decadent and useless than a Ball. It's a huge waste of time for people who have the luxery to waste time - which they could very well have spent useFULly. And to make matters worse, the amount of people involved as staff and service at such a ball: all THEIR time is wasted as well.
I think, given all that, it's obvious I love this word. Ball season. There's a specific TIME, in which, apparently, gala balls (and opera balls, which was what the article was about) are held. There *is* such a thing as a ball season, and if there's one, there's bound to be several (unless it's something like the hunting season).
I wonder who sits around and discusses the ball season. What's special about THIS ball season. How it compares to past ball seasons. Speculations on future ball seasons, given the trends of past ones. People who may even deliberately take time off to enjoy the ball season.
IT FRIGHTENS ME.

It's today's winner. Deal with it. I don't have time to debate it.

No comments: