Saturday, November 08, 2003

7 Days And Counting.

Saturday - nearly been here a week now. Too much has been going on, it's great. Yesterday was a pretty interesting day. Decided to head out to the University City part and see the museum that a fellow hostel guest, Jack, is doing his research at for his phD. It was pretty interesting (the museum of archeology and anthropology) but I couldn't help thinking during my visit 'Why on earth am I inside this reasonably warm museum when it's GORGEOUS weather outside ?!' and it was, too. Haven't seen it that hot yet since I got here. And today's looking to be pretty nice, as well, just for the record.
Anyway, met some very interesting places here and there. Some American guy who was so heavily influenced by his Australian father that he sounded and even somehow looked incredibly Australian; a female artist at the First Friday event (I'll get to that); and a workshops-consultant-type of comedian who's staying at the hostel, and she's awesome as well :)
Other than that, I've been hanging out at Rittenhouse Square park, then at Barnes&Noble (great collection of books and you can just take a not-purchased book into the café part and read it there) and then I hurried back to the hostel because much to my surprise it was 4 30 already and Jack and I were gonna go to the First Friday stuff.
Now, First Friday is, as far as I know, pretty unique to Philly. It's every first friday of the month (hence the name) and they open up all the art galleries n stuff, and artists mingle with the crowd, there's musicians playing live music in the streets, etc. etc. - I saw it five years ago when I first came to Philly and I was looking forward to seeing it again if it happened to occur in this vacation. And it did, but get this - WE MISSED IT !!! We ended up not leaving the hostel (you know how you can sometimes just get delay heaped on delay upon excuse upon delay etc.) till 9, only to hear at 2nd street that it was a 5-9 event. That just.. sucked. Ohwell. We still jumped into a few galleries that were open longer and even one gallery/bar where we had a great time. That's where I met the artist, and she apparently owns a barn about an hour (by car or train) away from here and invited me to come visit for a day or two if I wanted. I'll think about it - if any of the days of next week are slow, I'll make sure to go. She had some interesting ideas and everything, so yeah :)
Anyway, I'm sure there's loads more I could tell you about, but I'm simply not gonna. The short version is, I'm having a blast and it doesn't look like it's gonna get boring anytime soon. So excuse me while I kiss the sky.

No comments: