Wednesday, January 07, 2004

If You Assume, You Make An Ass Out Of You...rself.

Somehow it seems inevitable as of late that people I hardly know bring up how my lovelife is. Apparently, the better I get at drawing my comics or the better Probeersel.com is doing, the more curious people seem to become if there's a significant other in René's life to counterbalance all this hard work. And it's most commonly women, and not the 'available' kind, either - there's ALWAYS something wrong. They're already spoken for, or you're clearly not their type (and often vice versa) or ANY other reason you can think of why this question should NOT really interest them - I mean, come on, be realistic. It shouldn't, it's none of their concern. They're 'just asking'.
Well, here you go: my love life is the same it's been for two years. I'm off the market: married to my art, very occasionally cheating on her with a one-night-stand, otherwise not available and not looking. And as far as I'm concerned, that's going to stay that way for the rest of my life.
Women who dared ask the first question can't handle this answer. I still don't quite know what to make of the look they consistently give me - I'm actually starting to suspect it's a cloaked version of jealousy - but they ALWAYS, ALWAYS decide to contradict me. The all-too-familiar "you never know what life brings" stories, or "I was convinced of the same for a long time and then I met HIM", or "well, we all know how THIS story ends: you'll be married in a few months". Look, folks, I'm not joking around here. I am extremely serious about my art and in the past my relationships have shown me that ANY relationship causes me to put it on hold or at least on very low priority, or otherwise I am "impossible to be with". I can't do that anymore - when my last relationship ended and I leapt right back into my comic work, I felt like I'd come up for air after two years of suffocating restriction. And my ex-gf didn't even restrict me, it was simply necessary for me to BE in a relationship. So, no go. I need my art like you need air. You can now all consider me a bad shoe lace: impossible to tie down.
But they always laugh condescendingly, seem to repress the urge to pat me on the head and go 'there, there', and pretend to be oh so wise because they assume they're right after all. Well, news flash. You're not, and this kind of talk is simply annoying. And if you're vain enough to assume even more then no doubt you'll assume I'm annoyed "because you're right" - no, I'm annoyed because I have always HATED people who are consistently wrong about you because they don't bother to know you, they only want to know the image they have of you (which is, most commonly, a projection of their own selves). My beforementioned ex-gf transformed into one of these people within a year of our breaking up. And she still can't figure out why I don't want anything to do with her anymore.
People who assume are generally clueless. Get the point.

No comments: