Thursday, January 29, 2004

A Narcolepsy-induced Dilemma

Once again, I stayed up wayyy too late last night. This resurfacing of my 'night owl' biological clock is getting very tiresome - literally. I have more and more trouble pulling myself out of bed in the morning, and I can't seem to beat it. I'm simply NOT tired late at night, no matter how little sleep I get. But the morning - well, that's a whole different matter.
It's funny, too, how you see the world when you're headed to work all groggy and half-asleep. Time passes insanely quickly and everything seems to go much faster than you can process it. This lasts pretty much until my first cup of coffee at work.
So there I was, getting on the train at Tilburg Central. And I sit down right across a very gorgeous girl. And I really mean gorgeous - and my type, if there is such a thing. No rings, earrings or anything, a very natural beauty, beautiful blue eyes, dark dyed shoulder-length hair (that showed signs that it was originally red), a really beautiful face... a few people who know me really well can probably filter out of these descriptions who she sort of resembled, which really bothered me a bit. Not the person I really wanted to be reminded of, that early in the morning.. but this girl was definately a sight for sore eyes other than that. So there I was, my body SCREAMING for an additional train-ride nap, but my eyes trying to get as long a view as possible. It really was a dilemma - I know this probably sounds like whining, but I thought it was interesting how much of a struggle this actually felt to be. After all, if you narrow it down to the basics, it's biology (sleep deprivation) against biology (libido) - how much of a struggle could that be ?
But yeah, she kind of reminded me too much of someone, and I was also way too busy trying to stay awake, so I never really tried to talk with her or anything. Life should really not attempt to challenge me this heavily so early in the morning. It's not fair. If it had been on the way back home, especially if the train company was giving all passengers loads of delays and other trouble, I haven't the slightest doubt I would have returned home with her phone number after some very great talks. But for now I guess I had to settle for just having looked at her sleeping as much as my tired eyes would allow.
Early mornings suck.

No comments: