Monday, January 26, 2004

XPulp

Just a little insight now that my brain has had its heavy-dose-of-caffeine-kickstart finally: it's amazing what long periods of working with the likes of Window XP (and its little help buddies that I feel like shooting by now - what can I say ? I'm not a dog person) and ethernet can do to your brain. I have been exposed to so much Windows, file copying, program installing, network configuration etc. crap that there was nothing but mushy pulp up there. How do I know this ? Because on Sunday, the movies 'Dick' and 'My Favourite Martian' were on TV, and I found myself actually thinking these were GREAT movies. The only way predictable plots can get by me is if my brain oozes out of every facial crevice, so I rest my case there.
I also found myself, while in this questionable mental state, 'ooh'ing and 'aah'ing at copy progress 'time left' estimations shifting up and down, and the progress bar moving millimeter by millimeter. Then I got to thinking, if you're paid a monthly fee, you can apply the 'glass half empty / half full' view to that: one month you get paid less than you would if you were paid by the hour, another month you'd get paid more. Because the salary is the same every month, and is paid on the same day, but you may be working more days one month, or less another. I pictured that you could judge your employer by his/her response to this thought - "damnit, my employees are more expensive this month because it's shorter" would be a pessimist boss, whereas "woohoo, are my employees ever cheap this long month !" is an optimist boss. Can't you just see your employer 'ooh'ing and 'aah'ing in his office about this marvellous thought ?
Yeah. Pulp. Useless goo, just sitting there, with barely any brain activity present. But now there's caffeine and it all seems to work again. Which is when all that suddenly becomes very amusing.
Just thought I'd share. It also explains why I got so giddy about my laptop switching back on when I kicked it.

No comments: