Saturday, January 24, 2004

The Joys Of Ethernet

So yeah, yesterday my laptop died after three years of reasonably loyal service. Sure, the screen was broken, de modem wouldn't dial in anymore and it's seen its share of repairs, but it was a reasonably powerful and reliable machine for running graphical applications that my P133 desktop just couldn't run at the same tour de force. So I was stuck without a machine to work on The Grim DotCom with - luckily, this bad luck coincided with pay day, so there went my 13th month..
Now I have this P4 with XP and it's already been a huge pain in the ass. Most importantly, I can't seem to get it to talk with my other desktop, which sucks, because like HELL am I gonna copy a few gigs worth of graphical files and the entire Probeersel site on disks.
I'm fairly confident that I'll get it to work at some point, but for now I can't do jack shit on this machine to be honest.. though at least it dials in. On 56k, which is an improvement on my desktop's 33k modem. So I guess that's something.

This is gonna set me back quite a bit. I just know it.
Anyway, thought I'd share with y'all.

No comments: