Monday, March 08, 2004

Guess I'm Appreciated.

Our new boss (long story) came up to my desk specifically today and brought up I wasn't in the office on Friday. I'm never in the office, so I immediately guessed it was about the slight chaos that arose since my direct colleague was on vacation and the only other person who can sort of take over our job decided to go home early that day. This resulted in a multitude of 'I dont know' emails in the support mailboxes as I found out this morning when I got to work (I'm omitting an interesting travel story here because the trains yet again failed me but I don't feel like telling it. It's kind of more of the same as usual.)
The way he started off this little talk made my internal "I'm in trouble ?" alert light blink, but I knew none of it was my fault anyway. Turned out he mostly wanted to compliment me on the fact that apparently I do a LOT because when I'm not there, my absense is clearly felt, as Friday proved. Of course he paired that story with informing how the hand-over of responsibilities and knowledge is arranged now that our helpdesks are being combined, but I quickly informed him we're all working on it - small steps, since there's a lot of completely different knowledge, applications, etc. on both sides, but we're working on it. He was glad to hear that, and once again pressed that he merely wanted to point out he thought I was doing a great job because things go relatively smoothly when I *am* in the office.

I thought that was nice. Ben (our previous boss) also knew I was an asset but he really never pointed it out quite like that. Also, Ben's more of a sales person where Aad is a very down-to-earth guy who doesn't seem to exaggerate anything. So the compliment is very appreciated :)
Sure, it's nicer to get a fair financial compensation for hard work, but the boss giving you a pat on the head is rare enough, so I'm having a good day.

Besides that point, I finished the RWWR guest comic. I'm impressed with how it turned out. Wether they like it / post it during their week or not, it will be on Probeersel.com eventually as well. Just keep an eye out for it. And don't be afraid to let me know what you think of it, yourselves, when it's up.

No comments: